New Capabilities Streamline PCI DSS Compliance, and Add to Existing Security Controls for Protecting Electronic Personal Healthcare Information (ePHI) and Securing Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
SAN JOSE, Calif. – February 5, 2015 – Vormetric, a leader in enterprise data security for physical, big data, public, private and hybrid cloud environments, today announced the release of Vormetric Tokenization with Dynamic Data Masking on the Vormetric Data Security platform. These new capabilities enable enterprises to save money and time by reducing sensitive information sprawl, removing servers and applications from the scope of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) audits and only exposing sensitive healthcare or other personal information when needed.
This new offering enhances the Vormetric Data Security platform with easy to use format-preserving tokenization that can protect sensitive fields in databases as well as big data environments, and that can also limit who can see sensitive data sets. The platform already includes support across data center, cloud and big data implementations for transparent structured, unstructured and application level data encryption, file level access control, data access audit logging and key management with a single infrastructure and management environment.
“Firms are so focused on meeting specific compliance requirements that they forget the big-picture goal is data security. Rather than go to the trouble of protecting every IT system with lots of different of security controls, why not remove them from your audit scope?” said Adrian Lane, Analyst and CTO, Securosis. “Technologies like tokenization reduce compliance scope by replacing sensitive data with a non-sensitive token that looks and acts like the original. This means you get data protection without the need to change your databases. Once sensitive data is replaced with the token, these systems are no longer subject to compliance, meaning a lot less work for IT and compliance teams".
Typical use cases for tokenization and dynamic data masking include:
- Replacing cardholder information with tokens, to significantly reduce the scope of expensive PCI DSS audits
- Protecting credit card numbers, social security numbers and other personal information from inappropriate access in databases supporting applications and in big data environments
- Safeguarding sensitive information from inappropriate viewing by call center or others without a need-to-know requirement
- Helping to insure that critical healthcare information is viewed only by those who need to see it - to meet ePHI disclosure requirements under the US HIPAA/HITech act
The core of the solution is the Vormetric Token Server, a virtual appliance that provides tokenization and data masking services. REST-based APIs at the Token Server afford developers a simple, quick method of incorporating Tokenization and Dynamic Data Masking to protect specific database fields with both existing and new applications, and without the need to customize and change database formats.
Key features include:
- Streamlined application integration. The solution employs tokenization at the application layer – streamlining development by eliminating the complexity required by building role- and identity-based access into every application. Instead, policy-based dynamic data masking can automatically eliminate the possibility of sensitive data exposure.
- Granular, flexible controls. Administrators can establish policies to return an entire field tokenized or dynamically mask parts of a field by policy, without modifying applications. For example, allowing customer service teams to operate by only seeing a few digits of credit cards, or social security numbers.
- Non-intrusive implementation. Application changes are minimal or non-existent - Format preserving tokenization capabilities preserve the original format of the data while shielding sensitive information from view without operational or performance impacts.
“Enterprise IT organizations need to take a ‘Data First’ approach to protecting sensitive information, but are also under constant pressure to keep IT Security costs in check – With this offering we enable them to meet both goals,” said Derek Tumulak, VP of Product Management for Vormetric. “The addition of Tokenization with Dynamic Data Masking to the Vormetric Data Security Platform helps organizations to benefit from both the protections we provide for their sensitive data, and from the cost advantages and efficiency of using a single platform to protect data-at-rest across their organization.”
Vormetric (@Vormetric) is the industry leader in data security solutions that protect data-at-rest across physical, big data and cloud environments. Vormetric helps over 1500 customers, including 17 of the Fortune 30, to meet compliance requirements and protect what matters — their sensitive data — from both internal and external threats. The company’s scalable Vormetric Data Security Platform protects any file, any database and any application’s data —anywhere it resides — with a high performance, market-leading solution set.